[VHFcontesting] Root Cause: Grid Circling

To: VHF Contesting eMail Remailer <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Root Cause: Grid Circling
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 10:43:04 -0800 (PST)
I am a recovering Grid Circler. :)

The root cause of the problem is dual-faceted and is based as follows:
1. How a "New QSO" is defined and
2. The limited number of participants in even the most popular VHF events

Until one or the other item above changes, the ONLY solution is this...

...  Include "% unique CALLSIGNS" as a summary statistic. (viewers may then
decide just how "valid" of an entry they are competing against)

Ev, W2EV

PS: In the early days of the 10-GHz and Above contest, I had two complete
stations for 10-, 24- and 47-GHz.  Why?  Because I was the only person on the
band, within range.  Did I grid circle?  You bet I did.  Otherwise, I would
have had a score of ZERO -- and that is good for nobody.