[VHFcontesting] poll, answer to Q's

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] poll, answer to Q's
From: "frank bechdoldt" <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 22:09:43 -0800
Have you heard any practical proposals to
define and categorise pack roving, etc.?

73 de Buck, KC2HIZ/r

I have heard of one way and thought of another way to set a limit.

A limit of the number of contacts betreen 2 rover stations IE no more than 10-20 percent of counted qsos could come from another individual rover on my log sheet.

The pros to this, if you were a captured grid circler it would have to be a pack of 5-10 vehicles to match the percentage or you would be forced to work other people.

The cons to this if the number was set to low it might hurt two random rovers in a sparsely populated area. However each rover could pick the best contacts that fall withinn the percentage limitations to maximize thier grid count why throwing out repeated grids that involved said other rover.

Another solution is to only count the grid when working a repeated rover and not the points. This forces other contacts.

Another would make the rover adverage at least 10 differnt stations per grid activated. This allows a rover to move on from slow grids and make more qsos in other grids. A 10 grid rover would have to contact 100 different stations to qualify as a rover. If he only did 90 different stations he would pick his 9 best grids.

The best is another catagory for circlers who work in teams. It is obvious when they are always in the same set of intersections in all thier logs.

Also as to the other comment there may be 2 teams in California, the complaints of the qrm and ignored calls are on comments part of the spread sheet of the poll. I have not had any problems with anyone ignoring a call in the northwest. 222.1 is not a coordinating frequency, for caprive circling rovers and when Im in the middle of nowhere during a contest I dont hear much off the calling freqs unless the band is open. Thats a west coast thing I suppose.

jim wrote

And my defiinition of my biggest complaint is the Captive circler. That
being the rovers we have on the west coast who only works themselves or at
least a very high majority of themselves.

We don't have any rovers on the west coast that do that.

We had guys from california team up in a band of three with one guys equipment post a million point score with 98 percent of the qsos made with the other 2 rovers in his group and when questioned he said there was no one out there to work. The 98 percent team generated qso rate is a quote from qst magazine about 2 years ago.

This web page shows where they have worked in a group , the poll shows the complaints. Its a good opperation if they would work other people.

73s Frank