Re: [VHFcontesting] poll

To: Ron Hooper <w4wa@alltel.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] poll
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 10:02:01 -0800
> I think the nightmare of changing the rules currently is the contest logging
> software updates. IMHO, I think the software could be supplied by the
> contest sponsor and made shareware to members or minimal cost to anyone for
> downloading from the Internet. This would insure that any changes are
> incorporated for each category and event. The contest sponsors could request
> the current software suppliers to bid on the project to help keep cost down.

It seems to me that any scoring changes could be made without any changes
to the logging software.  Sure, the number that appears on the screen might
not be your actual score total - but none of the scoring information is
a requirement of the Cabrillo entry.  QSO points are not in this file.

Therefore - any scoring change can be simply implemented in the log checking
software done for the contest.  Having all the logs measured by the same
"ruler" makes great sense.

> Personally, I would like to see distance between grids calculated into the
> score, additional points for cw contacts and more points per contact on the
> less used bands like 222 and 902. I am sure there are a lot of other things
> that could be done to increase activity and promote contesting but it is
> going to involve changing the rules/software by contesters that has this
> vision and with support of the sponsor.

I am sure we all have ideas on the best scoring methods.  :-)

And I have to point out the Stew Perry Topband Distance challenge.  Yet another
example of a non-ARRL contest that is being well received (10 years running and
almost 500 logs submitted) and one that has a distanced based scoring method
using grid squares.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@kkn.net