Re: [VHFcontesting] Stacked Squalos?

To: "Joshua M. Arritt" <jarritt@vt.edu>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Stacked Squalos?
From: Alex <extraham@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 07:14:51 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
Halos, Squalos, and whatever cute name they come up with for these antennas do
not have an omnidirectional pattern, no matter what they claim. (Yes, a local
ham and I tested them.) In order for a halo to approach the gain of a single
dipole in the directions of least radiation, you need to stack at least 4
halos. You really have to consider if you want to go with the complexity of
building such an array with a much simpler solution that will outperform such
an array.

Two dipoles at a 90 degrees angle will easily outperform a 4 bay h(squ)alo
stack. Use either 2 feedlines and a switch at the shack, or switch at the
antennas using a relay (reed relays if weight is an issue). Add a simple 555
timer circuit to switch ever 0.5 second or so and supply an override switch and
you can sit back and relax. Better yet, use a skeleton slot or dipole groups to
do this at much higher gain with similar coverage. I'm sure this isn't too
complex of a project for the VT ham club.

Consider which directions are most interesting to you and maybe a simple dipole
will suffice. The simple dipole seems to have lost its allure, but bend the
thing to have it radiate in a peanut shape pattern, mutilating its gain figure,
 give it a cute name and it sells like hot cakes. :-)

Yes, I built halos and 2 and 4 bay stacks, but  after many conversations,
experiments and shared experience, I'm convinced that switching is the way to
go (for stationary use).

73,
--Alex KR1ST
http://www.kr1st.com