Re: [VHFcontesting] impedance transformer

To: Paul N1BUG <paul_n1bug@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] impedance transformer
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 20:30:50 -0400
Paul,

While the technique you describe certainly works, it has the downside
that as the line becomes longer in terms of wavelengths (so that it
contains more and more 1/2 wavelength sections), the bandwidth over
which a good match is maintained is narrowed.

One of my contesting friends W8MJ, tried this on HF with a ~350' run of
1/2" CATV hardline to a TH6DXX tribander on his back tower.  The length
was trimmed with an SWR analyzer to be multiples of half wavelengths on
all the bands (20/15/10).  On 10M the SWR bandwidth was noticably worse
than either what was shown in the manual, or by other TH6's at his
station (fed with 50 ohm line).  Putting a 50:75 un-un at each end made
the SWR look like the other antennas.

It should be noted that the line was some 25 half-waves long at 28 MHz.
When considering VHF use of this technique, bandwidth may not be an
issue, but then the capability to cut the line accurately to the correct
length might be.

Dave/K8CC