Re: [VHFcontesting] Andros 2 piece N connectors

To: flearl@msn.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Andros 2 piece N connectors
From: "Jim Erickson" <k3lfo@mddsg.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:12:00 -0400 (EDT)
Warren,

We starting useing them about a year and a half ago for the cables in our
Rover station.  We used to have the problem of N connectors comming appart
during the contest after repeated installation and removal and rotation of
the antennas. It solved 2 problems -- 1- center pin pull back doesn't
happen any more.  2- shield pulling out under strain doesn't happen any
more.  They make a strong package that doesn't fall appart. Just make sure
you use a high wattage iron to solder the shield so that you don't get a
cold solder joint.  Also be sure to fill the holes completely with solder
so water can't get in under the coax sleve,

In testing the cables we made up with the 2 piece N's they show just a
little bump in the line at 1296 but only a trace. All remained below 1.1:1
SWR.

No more connector problems during the contests!

73,

Jim K3LFO/R