Re: [VHFcontesting] K7RAT Two Meter Spring Sprint

To: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] K7RAT Two Meter Spring Sprint
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:06:42 -0700
On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 10:14:51AM -0500, Zack Widup wrote:

> Maybe we should just have a rule that the calling frequency is not to be
> used in the contest.  Maybe that will spread everyone out.

Well - I think that is a lot more extreme than what I am proposing.  There
are many situations where the calling frequency might be the only way to
generate some activity on the band.

> What I'm trying to say is that a station running 500 watts with his beam
> pointed at right angles to me is possibly not going to hear my 5 to 25
> watts, but he will if he points his beam at me.  So as this operator
> swings his beam looking into different areas, he will probably come
> across me calling him. If he also has to hop around in frequency, my
> chances of working him are greatly reduced.

No problem - he can swing his beam all he wants - until he gets an answer,
and then he gets to go try a different frequency for awhile.  He can come
back to the calling frequency after working one other station and then
continue swinging th ebeam.

Tree