Re: [VHFcontesting] K7RAT Two Meter Spring Sprint

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] K7RAT Two Meter Spring Sprint
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 10:14:51 -0500 (CDT)
Maybe we should just have a rule that the calling frequency is not to be
used in the contest.  Maybe that will spread everyone out.

What I'm trying to say is that a station running 500 watts with his beam
pointed at right angles to me is possibly not going to hear my 5 to 25
watts, but he will if he points his beam at me.  So as this operator
swings his beam looking into different areas, he will probably come
across me calling him. If he also has to hop around in frequency, my
chances of working him are greatly reduced.

On HF you don't have this problem.  Very few people (if any) have a 12
element beam for 40 or 20 meters. The beam pattern is much broader.

73, Zack W9SZ