Re: [VHFcontesting] E skip question

To: John Geiger <ne0p@lcisp.com>, vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu,vhfcontesting@contesting.com, 6meter@yahoogroups.com,50mhz@mailman.qth.net, k9la@arrl.net, w3zz@arrl.org
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] E skip question
From: Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 15:35:25 -0800 (PST)
John,
There are several factors at play.  First is
population density.  Europe has much greater
population density than North America does at the same
latitudes.  "If the band is open and nobody is
transmitting, does anybody hear it"? :)

Second is geomagnetic latitude (as opposed to
geographical latitude).  Take a look here:
http://www.nwra-az.com/ionoscint/maps/maplats.html

Notice that Europe shares the same geomagnetic
latitude as does North America's "southern" states.

Food for thought.

Regards,
Ev, W2EV