[VHFcontesting] E skip question

To: <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>,<6meter@yahoogroups.com>, <50mhz@mailman.qth.net>, <k9la@arrl.net>,<w3zz@arrl.org>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] E skip question
From: "John Geiger" <ne0p@lcisp.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 05:21:04 -0000
When reading the most recent World Above 50mhz Column in QST, some E skip from
the September VHF contest was discussed.  The big E skip opening in that
contest was discussed, and Gene, W3ZZ, made this comment "The first thing to
notice is that being farther north, the openings are nowhere near as good as
for the southern stations."  I have also heard in mentioned before that Eskip
is better further south.

Is this true?  Are Eskip conditions better in the southern US as compared with
further north? If so, why?  Eskip doesn't seem to be related to the F layer,
which is better further south.  And Europe, which is further north than much of
the US, seems to get much better 2 meter Eskip than we do.  Does it have to do
with the location of the magnetic north pole?

73s John NE0P