Re: [VHFcontesting] Rule Change Discussion

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rule Change Discussion
From: "Frank Alwine" <kt1vt@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:23:44 -0400
I've been reading all this discussion with interest, but as a small-time VHF
contester
and sometimes rover I've held off commenting, until now. (Hope this isn't a
mistake 8-])

I contest and rove in the Northeast.  I suspect captive roving has, and
sometimes still
does, take place.  I personally don't think it's that large a problem.  I do
think grid-circling
*is* a problem (grid-circling by the traditional definition of 2 or more
rovers only working
each other in a circle attempt) that needs some attention.  I don't think
circling
is bad, per se, but if you play by the "traditional" definition of roving,
and you're
at all competitive, you're out of luck if someone adopts this strategy in
your section/
region.   It's kind of like fly fishing versus fishing with dynamite.

I would propose instead of trying to over-complicate the ARRL vhf contest
rules
by attempting to eliminate captive grid circling (is that what we call it
now?) we
take the problem and turn it into what could be an interesting new facet of
vhf
contesting.  Others on the list have mentioned creating a "Team" rover
category
and this is how I see it:

Team Rover Category
("Traditional" rover category is same as described in rules today)

1) a Rover team consists of two or more rovers working co-operatively
   to acheive a maximum team score.  Maximum team size is "x" (5?)
   The team leader will submit a team summary sheet in additional to
   all individual team members logs.

2) No geographical bounds are placed on team composition - ie teams
   may consist of rovers travelling together, or as disparate as rovers
   on opposite coasts of the USA.

3) Team rovers compete only against other team rovers on the basis of
   total team score.  Team members may submit their logs as individual
   rovers but they will be considered checklogs.

4) Bonus points will be awarded for teams that have more than 50% of
   their total QSO's with non-team members. Bonus points will be an
   adder to the total calculated score.

and the Big Stick:

*) "Traditional" rovers:  in each section/region that has significant
   rover activity, rover logs that acheive the potential to "place" in
   that section/region will be examined by the ARRL, and if more than
   50% of the total QSO's are with 5 or less other rovers, these logs,
   at the sole discretion of the ARRL, will be returned to the submittors
   with a 30 day extension to resubmit in the team category; otherwise
   these logs will be considered checklogs.

(This proceedure would hopefully sidestep the problem of the small-time
  rover who may have a significant number of Q's with a few other rovers
  in his log... only if his score has potential to place highly against a
  significant number of other rovers in a section/region will the proceedure
  kick-in.  Yes, it's up to the ARRL to enforce this... the potential always
  exists that they would do nothing even in a blatent case.)

So, W3IY and ND3F could team up with some West coast rovers and
wipe the floor... without circling... but circling would be a valid strategy
in this category.  But you'll lose the bonus points if too many Q's are with
your partner(s) (and the bonus could be significant -say 10% of total
score??).

Nothing would change for the traditional rover, except that if you put in
a big effort you better make sure you're under the 50% target... no changes
in points/QSO, or who I can contact or not, or any other changes thus far
proposed.

My $.02 worth, and the flame suite is on 8-).

73,

Frank  KT1VT / FN34kp Vermont