[VHFcontesting] NEW Topic - Interference from GPS on 222

To: "VHF Contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>,"vhf mailing_list" <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] NEW Topic - Interference from GPS on 222
From: "John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK" <k9jk73@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 08:10:26 -0500
Hello all,

Has anyone else experienced interference from their GPS right on the 222 Narrow
Band Calling frequency?

I'd been noticing this for a while, sounding like slightly raspy morse A's run
together (didahdidahdidahdidah...ad infinitum). FINALLY, during the most recent
UHF Contest, I convinced myself that the source was my Garmin GPS V. It seems
to always be there when the GPS is powered on, just above 222.100 (with similar
signals around 222.123 and 222.145). Seems not to matter if the unit is running
on battery or from the Cigarette Lighter adapter so I don't think it's
radiation from the power cord and it definitely goes away when the unit is
powered off.

It IS low level...not moving the S-meter but can definitely get in the way of
hearing weak signals ON the calling frequency.

Have any other rovers (or non-rovers) experienced such interference from their
GPS? (Any folks from Garmin on the groups?)

73, JK