Re: [VHFcontesting] What about me? I am captive.

To: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] What about me? I am captive.
From: "Dave Page" <vhf@dave-page.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:04:30 -0400
Tree:

> Would someone be willing to post the W2SZ logs?  That would settle
> this.

        I fail to see how. I have not seen SZ's logs, but let us hypothetically
assert
that your worst fears are true -- which I guess would be that there are 30
calls in
SZ's microwave logs that do not appear in any other station's 2+ logs. That
would
prove SZ has "captive" rovers. So what?

        That would mean there are 30 stations on the air that otherwise would
not
be sans SZ -- and 30 more hams who are exposed to the wonders of microwave
techniques. I frankly cannot see a problem with that.

        This all comes down to a feel-good operator etiquette issue -- that it
is
proper courtesy on HF not to ignore anyone. With u-wave rovers, the hill in the
way
(or the wacky IF) ignores people for you on >=2GHz. And are the few 144-1296 FM
QSOs these rovers may or may not hand out worth all this crying? (We never had
SSB anything -- too expensive) So, maybe it is slightly rude... but is that
sufficient to
ban it?  Is it worth potentially driving dozens of participants out of the
contest to "fix"
it? Would it not be more constructive for the QSO-deprived to elmer some rovers
of
their own? (I am NOT advocating circling)

        Best regards - Dave KD3NC