Re: [VHFcontesting] What about me? I am captive.

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] What about me? I am captive.
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 08:40:10 -0700
> Tree seemed to indicate that it is OK.  I work as many as I can on all
> bands, but the logs don't show the hours I spend in (say) FN21 calling
> CQ without a contact.

An important point - most, if not all, of the rovers who are on microwave
are also on VHF.  In most places in the country, it is pretty easy to work
a handful of stations on 144.200 with a modest setup (anything with
horizontal polarization and 30 watts).

The "mythical" captive rovers I speak of are not doing this.

Proof?  Sorry - no calls here.  There have been private discussions with
some of the stations, but I am not at liberty to disclose calls.  If you
are going to require 100 percent proof before you see this as something
to deal with - then you win.

Anti-rover?  I hope that protecting rovers from grid circling isn't seen
as anti-rover.  This thread did morph into anti-captive rover - which I
don't agree is anti-rover.  Certainly, I wouldn't consider someone who is
mostly working K8GP and W2SZ as a captive rover.  A captive rover would
be someone who works just one of those two stations and shun QSOs with
other stations.  This might take the form of only operating two meters
on some obscure frequency - and not making an honest effort to work the
masses on - or near - the calling frequency.  I have heard that their
equipment can only operate on specific frequencies - a convenient excuse.
But, to me, this really means that the station is only operating with
the intent of working the mother station.  If any rover really feels they
can't afford the equipment to get a radio that will work on 144.200 - then
please come forward, and I will have the Boring Amateur Radio Club buy you
a radio.

73 Tree N6TR / K7RAT
tree@kkn.net