Re: [VHFcontesting] Pack Rovers meet ARRL contest objectives

To: VHF Contesting e-Mail List <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Pack Rovers meet ARRL contest objectives
From: n2lbt@n2lbt.com
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 21:40:44 -0400
Please, I would no sooner give out my rover strategy than would ND3F
or W3IY. This is a contest, and just like everyone else, my logs are
between me and the ARRL and apparently a select few that claim to
have impartial and private access to them. Maybe you can ask one of
them.

When you say "rover log in your part of the country" we have a small
problem. I'm usually the only rover in that area. Not many rovers in
the Eastern Townships of Quebec. In fact not many rovers in Quebec at
all. I've worked another rover maybe once or twice on this route and
that was usually on low bands towards Toronto. No other rover logs to
compare to.

I give out points. I give out rare grid squares. I attempt longer
distance shots with the gear I've assembled. I promote VHF/UHF
activity in otherwise inactive areas. I work as many people as I can.
I've been doing this since I started in VHF. With the change in the
rover rules, there is no way for my type of operation to compete with
a 24+ grid rover going 70mph between population centers. But I try
not to whine and complain. I just go about my business of activating
rare grids, bettering my station and technical abilities. I work the
stations that attempt to work me. Someday, I might get it together
enough to win. I'm working on it.

I don't have to explain myself to anyone, I'm quite pleased with what
I've accomplished on VHF and I look forward to my future. But, please
stop bitching about the rules. The way to win a contest is clear,
work hard, promote VHF/UHF activity in your area. Many people here
are capable of winning their category in the contest, but not willing
to do the work. Changing the rules is not the way to win a contest.

--
Dennis Hudson, N2LBT/VE2/VE3/R
http://www.n2lbt.com/