Re: [VHFcontesting] Multi-op rovers

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Multi-op rovers
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 12:34:27 -0700
On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 03:01:42PM -0400, Buck Calabro wrote:
> > Sure, the rules let you go create a big
> > score by operating this way - but it is
> > by no means a good thing for the
> > contest.
>
> I don't have any real numbers to go on, so I'll use the number posted
> previously.  3 rovers, 2,000 QSOs each.  If 3% of those 6,000 QSOs
> were outside the group, that makes 180 QSOs that the group made with
> other stations.  That amount of activity ranks the group at about 121
> of 712.  Taken ias individuals, 60 QSOs ranks each at about 391 of
> 712.  Each one did better than 45% of all logs submitted.  My 32 QSOs
> only ranks me at 529 of 712.

I would be very surprised if they made 1% of their QSOs outside of their
group.

> There's probably some flaw in my reasoning, but on the surface,
> ignoring their 'within the group' QSOs and counting only the external
> QSOs, it seems they did quite a respectable job of stirring up
> activity.  Especially if one considers the number of VHF+ hams in the
> grids they drove through...

I don't buy this.  The #1 objective is to work the other guys in the
group as quickly as possible, so everyone can move to the next grid
and do it all over again.  This type of operation is mutually exclusive
towards spending time to work quantities of QSOs from nearby population
centers.

I think most of their outside the group QSOs occur while moving from one
grid to the next.  I do admit that there aren't a lot of stations to
work in West Texas...  but if the goal of the operation had been to
run up a good score as a "real" rover (i.e., trying to give out rare
grids to other people operating the contest), the operators might have
stayed closer to home instead of driving 1000 miles to West Texas.

Tree N6TR / K7RAT
tree@kkn.net