[VHFcontesting] August UHF Contest & Rovermania II

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] August UHF Contest & Rovermania II
From: jcplatt1@mmm.com
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:29:33 -0500

Its less than four weeks to the ARRL's August UHF contest and Rovermania
II.     Do you know where your rovers are ?

The UHF contest runs from 1800 UTC August 6 to 1800 UTC August 7.   Here in
NLRS land plans have been pulling together.   Last year we did not have a
significant multi-op station in the area and this year we may have two.
In addition, we should have around eight to ten well equipped rovers out
and about and we have just started to advertise the event on our local 2m
FM nets in order to attract the 223.5 & 446 crowd.     Look for strong
activity from NLRS, Badger Contesters, and CVVC.

And our goal ..... its growth (and oh ya, to have some fun).

Please set your calendar for August 6 & 7.    In addition to showing up
also consider what YOU can do to generate local activity and to promote
growth.   Get on your local 2m FM net and announce the contest, perhaps
with planned "activity times" for FM such as 8:00 PM or whatever works in
your area.    Talk it up on the local repeater on the ride home from work.
Think about loaning out that spare 432 rig to someone who is interested in
giving UHF a try.    Organize and energize your local club to get a rover
or two out .... even if its just for a few hours on a nice Sat. afternoon
or a Sunday morning.    Pool your resources.     And when your done, send
in your log.

The 2003 UHF contest generated just 140 logs, down 44% from the high in
1999 of 249 logs, and it represented the lowest total number of logs during
the previous  11 years (Ref: ARRL's 2003 UHF Contest write-up).   One year
later, in 2004, the first year of Rovermania, it jumped to 169.   In 2005,
with Rovermania II and YOUR help, the goal is for 200 or more.   Will you
be there ?

73, Jon
W0ZQ/R