Re: [VHFcontesting] Rare Grids

To: VHF <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Rare Grids
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@arrl.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 07:32:26 -0400
Michael Urich wrote:

How important is it you to have individuals or groups make an
investment in a VHF DX-pedition <aka> activate rare NA grids?

Ok, I'll bite...but just a nibble. :)

As you've identified with the "Internet accessibility" question on Contesting.com, there may be aspects of such a questionnaire that go unconsidered; being uncovered only through the dialogue that follows taking the survey. Hence the commentary area below the survey.

With that in mind...

To me, it is more important that VHF DX-peditions do everything in their power to assure that I *can* work them.

What I mean: Simply being present in a rare grid does little for me if they are unable to make their presence known (running low power, relatively speaking) or if they feel as it is largly *my* problem if I can't find them.

Excellent example of one operation that did the right thing: W3SO. I tip my hat to those guys. At first, they were difficult to find. Today, they "got their game on" and are one of those that I can find whenever they are there. They adapted strategies that made them more easily findable.

Excellent example of a class of operation that has yet to mature to that point: I live in an area that is rich in Rover activity. I have *never*, *ever* worked every rover in every one of the 6-grids local to which I am LOS on a handheld FM transceiver. That *almost* changed when N2JMH/r agreed to play with HamIM, but Jim's interests changed just as he was getting good at using that strategy. He is no longer active. [by the way, that was just a passing comment...HamIM is only *one* of *several* strategies that may be employed to better engage other contesters].

OK by clicking on the send button I have assured you
that I have my NOMEX and awaiting all flames

Gee. I hope you don't get flamed. This kind of thread will lead to others sharing strategies that may help them to have more fun in contests, themselves. I'll even start with one for rovers: GET NOTICED. Here are some ways to do so:

1. Run HIGH power and the biggest antenna that one can muster on 2 meters. Kill another band if one has to. 2 meters is where others look for contacts (I've had a 903 MHz CQ answered... never). :) If you can't get noticed there, you got no game.

2. Use HamIM (yes, this strategy works...it is awesome, when Rovers [especially]
   use it).

3a. If one cannot do the above two things (both would make one a v-e-r-y popular participant) then one *must* do ALL of these things (for rovers):
- Post an operating schedule AND KEEP IT, even if you haven't "finished"
in the grid they are in.
- Post a liaison frequency AND PARK A DEDICATED TRANSCEIVER ON IT. One
would be amazed how many times I've called them on that frequency only
to learn that they are off working someone else, somewhere else. I
can't always waste time waiting for you, either (hence the power of the
HamIM strategy, btw).
- Power up on WSJT and USE THE CALLING FREQUENCY. You'll be amazed the
attention that you can muster from DX stations...especially if you
have adopted #1 above along with WSJT.

3b. If one cannot do the above two things (both would make one a v-e-r-y popular participant) then one *must* do ALL of these things (for QRP Portables):
- Get used to not being heard and having a low score. :)
- HamIM with 10-watts on a hilltop can get you noticed by a lot of folks,
give it a try.

That should be enough to engender some heated discussion. :) No flame intended above, just some food for consideration as others build their stations.

Ev, W2EV