[VHFcontesting] Too Many Contests?

To: "VHF Contesting" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Too Many Contests?
From: "Michael A. Urich" <mike@ka5cvh.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:00:06 -0500 (CDT)
Speaking of not repling back to the list.  I think I sent this Rusty and
not to the list.  But if I did forgive me, its been a long week already.

* * *

Just how many contests are TOO many contests?  IMHO, the more contests we
have, the less significant each contest becomes to the general ham
population.  Right now there are approximately two ARRL contests per
month.

My suggestion a couple of years ago to the league was to combine the June
VHF QSO party, the August UHF & 10 GHz + contests into FD and then score
all VHF+ contacts just as they would those contests.  I also suggested
that when you entered your log(s) you could specify whether if you were
entering as FD, VHF only, UHF only, 10 GHz+ only or a VHF+ (everything above
50MHz) category.  My vision was to allow a club to operate FD and if a
sub-group of the club wanted to run a VHF station, UHF station or a 10Ghz+
station they could count that in their FD score *_OR_* submit a completely
different log if they so choose.

Now, let face this too folks, the Gulf Coast summers are just too hot and
humid for so many contests where you might want to try and go put a rare
grid on the air or operate as a rover.  However for FD I could see making
a trip out to DL79 and putting it on the air if the contests were combined
and the rules changed.  I would go in June or Sept but my schedule just
never allows it, but July is almost always workable.

Let?s go back and let me rehash a previous post.  The league needs our
logs if they are going to have anywhere near a fighting chance of
protecting our bands.  I personally believe that this change could
increase the number of logs / stations worked.  What if we were able to
double the number of log submissions with triple the number of stations
contacted?  Will it happen? I don't know but we at CLARC http://clarc.org/
choose *_NOT_* to put much of a V/UHF presence on the air for FD because
of limited number of contacts we expected to make and the scoring issue.

YMMV
Mike Urich, KA5CVH
www.ka5cvh.com