[VHFcontesting] Re: How to Build the June VHF Contest

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: How to Build the June VHF Contest
From: Bob K0NR <k0nr-list@rwitte.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:22:07 -0700 (PDT)
--- somebody wrote:
> Just my opinion, but I feel that it may be Field Day that pulls down
> participation in the June VHF Contest.  It is simply too hard for "most"
> hams to do both the June VHF Contest and Field Day as well.

   I think there is some truth to this. I find it difficult to
   hit both of these with full force. On the other hand,
   it has always been this way so it wouldn't explain any trend
   in contest participation.

> I wish we had more VHF contests per year that were in the 12 hour
> range versus 27-33 hr range as these longer contests tie up a whole weekend,
> and if you setup in the mountains it can tie up as much as 4 days with setup
> and teardown.  That last point is really only a personal gripe of mine, but
> I do see it echoed by a lot of us 20's-30's hams.

   I agree with this (and I am beyond my 30's).

Someone else wrote:
> I have 2 accounts on "vhfcontesting@contesting.com".
> I checked BOTH of the accounts VERY carefully and didn't see any post from
> Tom YTD !!!
> At least NOTHING "From: Tom Frenaye <frenaye@direcway.com>" as your URL
> indicated.
>
> Maybe some other List members could comment on whether or not they got Tom's
> post here ???  If so maybe there are other problems than the League and VHF+.

   I got the email, no problem. Hit the URL and you should see it there.
   Unfortunately, email seems to be less and less reliable in the days
   of excessive UCE (spam).

   Of course, this could be all part of the continuing ARRL conspiracy
   to confuse and disorient the VHF+ community :-)

Someone else wrote:
> I've listened to people complain for four years about the death of the
> sprints, but the only person I've seen suggest a reasonable replacement
> that might be popular on the air was K5TR, and his suggestion (a four
> hour weekend all-band VHF+ sprint) was just howled and hooted at by the
> members of this reflector.

  The whole death of the sprints reminds me of when a local restaurant
  here closed down. I thought "hey, that was a really fun place to eat
  so why did those dummies close it?". Then I remembered that I had
  not eaten there in about 2 years. Hmmmmm.

  With regard to K5TR's recommendation, it sounds like something
  worth trying. The sprint concept is good, but week nights are
  bad for many people.

> >Line scores were lost by all contests, VHF and HF alike.
>
> I NEVER talked to many who thought this was a "SMART MOVE" for the League !!!
> I think the League lost a lot of members over that one !!!

  Give me strength. It's on the web. For everyone. In the same format
  as the old QST. And I find the searchable/sortable web database far
  superior.

> Yes, but it is ONLY one column for VHF+ !!!  Add up all the other columns
> related to HF etc. and I don't think that VHF+ and MW got a disproportionate
> number of pages in QST !!!

  Put yourself in the position of the QST editor. Got to please
  people that have these interests (and don't shortchange a single person):
  HF phone, HF CW, 160M, classic RTTY, new digital stuff like PSK31,
  VHF/UHF FM with repeaters, VHF/UHF FM with no-stinkin' repeaters,
  packet, APRS, digital OSCAR, analog OSCAR, ISS, public service,
  antique radios.....that's just a start. Oh, and make sure
  there are enough technical articles to challenge the EEs in
  the crowd but don't intimidate people new to the hobby.

73,
Bob K0NR