Re: [VHFcontesting] Florida Microwave Activity?

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Florida Microwave Activity?
From: "Keith O'Brien" <n4zq@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 22:50:13 +0000
Thanks to all of you that took the time to point out that Florida does support microwave activity. Unfortunately none of it pointed to any activity in the Tampa Bay area. The closest turns out to be 69.9 miles away, as the RF would travel, in the Orlando area. Not a hop, skip and jump away. Others pointed to activity east of Mickey Mouse's town, around the space coast vicinity. Nothing local to my backyard. This coincides with my opinion that the West Central section of Florida is composed of either the newly wed or nearly dead. Not very much experimentation goes on around here. By the way, I'm rapidly approaching the later group myself.

These mentioned locations are not a short trip away. The space coast is a three hour drive from here. Gas jumped another 5 cents a gallon yesterday to $178.9, so it wouldn't be a cheap trip either.

Oh well, guess will have to wait and maybe meet up with some microwave buffs at the Orlando Hamfest next year. Nice to know that Chuck, K0VXM mentioned that a Orlando Florida weak signal group might be starting up. I will follow that with great interest.

I'll try dropping a few seeds around here and see if I can stir up any neighborhood interest. It wouldn't be much fun talking to yourself on 24 gigs, Hi. Guess I need another HEO AO-40 type satellite.

Again, appreciate those taking the time to point me in the right direction. I well see what I can do.

73 Keith N4ZQ