Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for LimitingMultiOps[was:Asuggestionfor

To: "Ev Tupis (W2EV)" <w2ev@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] A suggestion for LimitingMultiOps[was:Asuggestionfor ERP-based Entry Classes]
From: "Kenneth E. Harker" <kharker@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 07:59:50 -0600
On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 06:54:41AM -0500, Ev Tupis (W2EV) wrote:

> > Except for the fact that contests are competitions.  They
> > are not designed to be "spectrum occupiers" to demonstrate
> > the fact that the bands are being used.
>
> And THAT is a problem (probably where we disagree?).

That is the crux of the debate.  Allow me to summarize:

Ev's position: We should occupy spectrum through radiosport for the sake of
               occupying spectrum.

My position:   We should occupy spectrum through radiosport for the sake of
               sport.

I don't find the argument that we should be getting on the air in a contest
just for the sake of getting on the air and occupying spectrum all that
motivating.  It's like suggesting that I should mow the lawn for the sake
of mowing the lawn or I should drive across town for the sake of driving
across town.  I mow the lawn because I like the way my yard looks when I'm
done.  I drive across town because I want to visit Fry's or meet friends
for dinner.  I get on the air not just for the sake of being on the air,
but to engage in the sport of radio contesting, to work DX, to experience
new operating modes or challenges, to chat with friends, etc.  I know there
are some hams who get on the air simply to be on the air, just as there are
some hams who like to build things simply to build things - but, I don't
think most hams are really like that.  If all contesting becomes is using
spectrum for the sake of using spectrum so that we can prove that we are
using spectrum, with no other more intrinsic interest or goal, then it is
no longer interesting or worth doing.