[VHFcontesting] VP9/N0JK Sept. VHF QSO Party results

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] VP9/N0JK Sept. VHF QSO Party results
From: "jon jones" <n0jk@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 18:48:31 +0000
Call: VP9/N0JK
Operator(s): N0JK
Station: VP9/N0JK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs): 16

   6:   7     7
   2:
 222:
 432:
 903:
 1.2:
 2.3:
 3.4:
 5.7:
 10G:
 24G:
-------------------
Total:   7     7  Total Score = 49

Club:

Comments:

What a difference a few months make compared to June. No Es, F2 or tropo from
Bermuda in the Sept. contest. I stayed at Ed, VP9GE's QTH. Hurricane Fabian had
knocked off the power, so I ran the contest "Field Day" style with generators.
Only contest QSOs completed were on 6M via "scatter." I CQed often on 2M but nil heard.

High points were working W2SZ/1 on 6M Sunday(who I missed in the June contest) and
having a "3 per hour" run Sunday evening on scatter. K1TOL has a super signal.
This was after having a nice dinner at the "Lobster Pot" restaurant in downtown
Hamilton with my family celebrating my son's 22nd birthday.

Some stations heard but not worked on 6M: W4IY, W8GG em78, K1WHS, K1JT, K1SIX,
W2FU, K3YTL and N2PA. Believe W2FU heard me calling on CW, he would qrz, but
could not complete. At 1846 utc on Saturday heard a station giving grid "EN19"
on 50.150 ssb. That was the best DX heard.

Best DX worked on 6M was AA4ZZ em96, K1TOL fn44 and WA2BPE fn12. A lot of work for only a few contacts. Was hoping for a tropo or Es opening, but was not to be this time. Ran the IC-706MII at 100 w to a 5 el M2 yagi at 20 feet. Impressive to see how quickly the hard working people of Bermuda are recovering from Hurricane Fabian.

Planning to return to Bermuda for the June contest.