[VHFcontesting] Info/experience with TS790A and IC820H

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Info/experience with TS790A and IC820H
From: mhoffman@microwavedata.com (Hoffman, Mark)
Date: Thu Aug 14 10:28:27 2003
Folks,

I'm actually with Dave on this one. In my station, all preamps 2-432 are
located in the shack, with feeder losses < 1dB on each. Until I'm ready for
EME, where I WILL be putting it on the tower - there's been no point at
which it's been useful to have one installed there.

I DID have one up on the tower- but with the combination of sequencing,
extra control lines (130'), wx-proof enclosure, proper relays (to handle the
stooch) and the time/energy to install, I suspect it was useful all of 3X.
More often, when high-power local stations came on the air, it was relegated
to the OFF position.

I have old transverters (MMT on 2,222), and a couple good ones(DEMI on 432)
and each has a preamp. More than anything, it's really just because I had
em, and it was easy to do. The NF of the transverter has been measured at
1.25dB (432) so it's totally unnecessary to use a preamp. On 2/222, where
the NF of the transverters is around 3dB, it DOES pay off a bit. In/Out
testing shows a qualitative improvement, that's for sure. But mostly so I
can set the resting S-meter to something just above 0. I like conversion
noise....

If you are in a quiet location, without other high-power locals in the
vicinity - it's probably OK to spend the extra time/effort to do it. Once
that local guy hits the air 15 miles away, you might wonder why you did it.

-Mark, K2AXX