[VHFcontesting] Tower and Antenna help

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Tower and Antenna help
From: mph@swcp.com (Mike Hasselbeck)
Date: Wed Aug 13 15:11:19 2003
Dave -

With your relatively small antenna load, you could probably get by with
just one set of guys.  You can also attach the guys directly to the Hazer.
Glen Martin indicates this is an acceptable approach, although they
suggest guying directly to the tower is the best choice.  This also gives
you the option of lowering the Hazer and antennas if you know a big storm
is coming in.  I just put up 40 feet of Rohn 25 up with guys attached to
the Hazer H-3 (the light duty aluminum model). Although there are no
antennas up there yet, it seemed quite happy in 45 mph wind gusts last
weekend.  I use 3/16" EHS cable for guying and there's no doubt the Hazer
would disintegrate long before this cable had problems. Eric (WB5APD) has
70+ feet of Rohn 25 in the air with just one set of guys, attached to his
Hazer.  He has small antennas though, I believe for 144 and 432 only.

Although my Hazer works, in principle, I'd have to say I'm pretty
disappointed with it.  I have the following gripes: 1) The instructions
are poor almost to the point of being cryptic.  Assembly was more like a
puzzle than a process. 2) My cross members were not drilled. 3) The spring
loaded latch for holding it in place on the tower cross brace was
incorrectly drilled.  It had to be re-worked on my friend's drill press.
4) The optional roller bearings are an expensive joke.  Parts were poorly
machined and I had to work them over with a circular file to make things
fit.  I cannot tighten the bearing support brackets without locking up the
wheels, which ostensibly defeats their purpose.  Overall, I think the
concept is good, but the quality control and engineering at Glen Martin
are shabby. And it's way overpriced.

Mike WB2FKO