[VHFcontesting] re: Captive rovers

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] re: Captive rovers
From: w2ev@arrl.net (Ev Tupis (W2EV))
Date: Tue Jul 29 08:06:07 2003
Tree wrote:

> > General Rules for ARRL Contests on Bands Above 50 MHz
> >
> > 2.3.5.All Rovers are encouraged to adopt operating practices that allow as
> > many stations as possible to contact them.
>
> Ah - I remember that rule.  I think perhaps I was on the CAC when it was
> adopted.
>
> It was a tough rule to write - how do you enforce it?  The intent of the
> rule was to prevent such a thing from happening.  How could a rover be in
> an area where there is lots of activity and only work a single station
> from a number of grids?  It smells REALLY poor.

This is a little like the question, "How long have you beat your wife?".  It
assumes that it is happening; and simply asking the question is prejorative.  In
this case, it assumes that Captive rovering is a problem to solve (non-anecdotal
evidence has yet to emerge to that end).  I'll play along, though <smile>...

/Ironic humor mode on/
I've got an idea (since you asked).   Legislate CU2QSO use for all rovers.
Then, everyone would know when a Rover is in simplex range and peer-pressure
would cause them to work more people.
/Ironic humor mode off/

You've got quite a personal dilema-of-principle going, Tree.  On one hand, you
want to encourage rovers to contact as many people as possible.  On the other
hand, you have a strategy that does just that, but it "doesn't feel right" to
you.

:o)      <-cheesiest smily I could come up with
Ev, W2EV
PS: To the "issue impaired", this is *not* about CU2QSO.  Adopters are doing
so.  Nay-sayers will not; at least for now. :)