[VHFcontesting] CQ Test and Hill Topping

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] CQ Test and Hill Topping
From: ka5cvh@ka5cvh.com (Mike (KA5CVH) Urich)
Date: Mon Jul 21 19:54:09 2003
----- Original Message -----
From: <N3AWS@aol.com>

Anyone else try out the "Hilltopping" category?  I did a stint on Saturday
and sure picked the wrong six hours--worked only 14 stations and eight grids
on
6 and no one on two.  Then, while editting the log, I accidently deleted a
QSO
with a unique multiplier.  Ended up with 91 points.

Mike wrote

Hills, we ain't got no stinkin' hills, this is the gulf coast senior'.  The
closest thing that qualifies as a hill to me is 3/4 of the way to Austin (or
about 125 miles from my house).  Besides ... three days before the contest
we're still trying to dodge a hurricane.  Granted it was only a Cat1 but I
was going to go down and operate from EL28 just north of where the eye
passed and the worse part of this storm was the north side not the east side
as it usually is.

Couldn't get but a couple of hours of ops in and only worked 6m.  The band
would be up
and I'd work a couple and it would die away.  So back to working in the
office and would come back later to find it up and make a few more.  I had
to work most of Sunday but did get a few additional contacts.

NV8V EN61
W3ZZ FM08
W5PR EL29
N4MM FM09
K3DNE EM19
KE2N FM18
KC4PX EL98
NW5E EL98
W4OH EM96
KA5GLX EL29
W8GG EM88
K3ZO FM18
W4WRL FM04
N4XD FM05
KN4SM FM16
KB8U EN71
KB9WZJ EN69

A whole whopping 258 points.

Rig FT-736R under 10 watts to qualify for the QRP single op.

Mike Urich, KA5CVH
www.ka5cvh.com
http://www.ka5cvh.com/vhf/vhfindex.htm