[VHFcontesting] Create Activity - Help A Newbie (Rover orOtherwise)

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Create Activity - Help A Newbie (Rover orOtherwise)
From: Jimk8mr@aol.com (Jimk8mr@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:49 2003
In a message dated 5/6/03 9:05:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time, n0jk@hotmail.com
writes:

> Dave:
>
> I agree with John on this one. You can make alot of QSOs on 6 Meters with
> "some wire and cheap coax hung from a tree." See:
>
> >From home I am limited to indoor antennas due to "C C & R" restrictions.
> With an "attic dipole" on 6 Meters I worked HK, TI, LU and ZF April 30 last
>
> week.
>
> - Jon N?JK

This is a matter of location, location, location.  Yes, a dipole not very
high will make QSOs on six meters.  I've done it several times in the June
contest from Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, using a "PVC-1", a wire
dipole taped to 1/2" PVC for mechanical support and to permit erection with a
single sting or rope.  From EM-92, when six opened to the northeast, I've had
full throttle runs with this small antenna up 25 feet or so. I also have
worked ZF, 6Y, TI, KP4, CO, etc., as well as the west coast, from HHI.

>From up north, when you are just another mediocre signal competing with
everyone else in W1, W2, W3, W8, W9, northern W4, and the populated parts of
VE3, your results will be a bit more disappointing.

Likewise on tropo, you will get what you pay for.

73  -  Jim   K8MR