[VHFcontesting] Good Buddy QSOs and other stuff

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Good Buddy QSOs and other stuff
From: MJGarcia@fresno.ca.gov (Garcia, Michael)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:46 2003
I totally agree w/ not FORCING stations to give everyone a contact.

Here in California(DM06), we have to fight and scratch for EVERY QSO we get.

I personally have mentioned to my buddies to get on the local FM simplex
frequency and give me/us/them a contact. I have no control whom they work
and dont work. If the rules were changed to FORCE them to give EVERYONE a
contact, I dont know if they would even bother to get on. I will say that
MOST people if not ALL will work anyone they hear. Most hams are polite.
Locally here there are some folks who just get on to work their friends for
the contest. A vast majority will work all those to clammer to get in, but
they wont be back for the rest of the contest.

I've seem some good good good ideas here for some rule changes, but do we
really want to 'level' the playing field? I dont have the microwave bands,
but after having contested w/ K6MI in January I have seen the value of the
microwave bands and see that I must improve my station in order to get those
larger scores(I usually run a LM using ABCD).

Again, I ask the question....Is this on going thread to improve log
submittions or to increase VHF/UHF/SHF activity?

BTW, great thread!!!  Nice to see many different people get on from all over
to get a different prospective on how contesting is from other parts of the
good 'ol USA!! Been keeping me from falling asleep at my desk during work!

Michael
KF6KDA

__________
> Good buddy QSOs are all about giving your friends an unfair
> advantage.  I'm not sure why this is an unclear concept.

It's unclear because it may not be true. Yes it gives your friends an
advantage but whether or not it's unfair is not at all obvious.

It prevents a club from telling its (non contesting) members to "get on and
give us a point". Now, instead, you would have to say "get on and give us a
point but you must work X other stations as well". A likely turnoff for
someone who is not interested in contesting but might be persuaded to get on
and make a contact. By the way what would the value of X be?

Jim, AF6O