[VHFcontesting] Ideal contesting rig

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Ideal contesting rig
From: n9dg@yahoo.com (Duane Grotophorst)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:34 2003
I mostly agree, top end RF performance is a must, the
all current do everything boxes are filled to brim
with bells and whistles, most of which still don't
help you SEE what's happening on the bands or help
keep track of who's operating where.

However I will vehemently argue that a
spectrum/waterfall display is NOT a bell or whistle,
it is (or soon will be) a necessity to be competitive.
None of the do everything boxes available today offer
such spectrum displays for all of the bands
simultaneously.

For now I'll stick with my dual Pegasus/DEM
transverters for 6&2 with an eye toward a newer IF
radio with equal or better computer integration and
top end RF performance (the Peg is only mid range -
hmmm, I wonder how the Orion will work as a
transverter IF?). If the radio can't be 100% computer
controlled though I'm not interested, no matter how
many knobs/buttons bells and whistles it has
otherwise. Real-time band condition/signal information
belongs on a nice big computer screen, not on a radio
panel.

Duane
N9DG
EN53bj