[VHFcontesting] Antenna Switch

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Antenna Switch
From: wbr@verizon.net (wf4r)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:24 2003
Scott,
    Look for a Gov. surplus coax switch made by Transco.  Transco
went bankrupt
but was bought by Dow Key Relay.  Transco made some very nice four
port coax
switches with a solenoid for each port.  They come in different
flavors.  Some
have all N type connectors, some have TNC type connectors.  They
have extremely
good figures as far as very low insertion loss and good
isolation.  They're
good up to the microwave bands, and can handle lots of power.
    I have managed to collect a few of these through the years and
have a
couple in use.  A model number ot look for would be 14100-28.  The
"28" on the
end says that the coils are 28 vdc.  Voltage should not be a
problem for a ham
with a little knowledge.  If you can find them at a hamfest they
usually go for
anywhere from $75 and up.  They are well worth the price.
    One thing you have to watch for though. If you mount a switch
at the top
of  your tower and use one feed line you can not work one band and
listen on
another.  Also if you do this be sure to install it in a nice
waterproof box
and one that wasps can not build in.  I speak from experience.
    I wish that I had some way to send you a picture of this one I
have sitting
at my desk next to me while writing this.
    Best of luck.  73,  Bill,  -=WF4R=-