[VHFcontesting] RE: RFI/Power line noise problem

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] RE: RFI/Power line noise problem
From: AB4RU@aol.com (AB4RU@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:24 2003
Hi Everyone,

I think someone on the list said we all have had power line problems. I think
that is an understatement, we all have power line problems, its just worse
for some hams than others. The power companies seem to have good intentions
in many cases and have repaired many of the problems but for some reason they
seem to surface again later.  Most power companies have a small staff and
little equipment to find RFI problems. Unfortunately the power companies
cannot control lightening and cars hitting the poles, but they do have
control over the power line construction techniques being used.

The cost for building and supplying power has been on the rise and many power
line companies have done several things over the past decade to keep the cost
down to the customers. This includes using the lowest bid contractors to
build new lines and increasing voltage on existing systems. Have you ever
wondered why the extremely high voltage lines (112 KV) seem to have little
EMI problems and most of the problems are involved around 25KV feeders for
subdivisions and rural areas. The answer to that question is simple, the
construction techniques currently being used by the power companies is the
problem. The new green poles start to shrink after the installation and the
hardware gets loose. Have you wondered what happen to the black poles that
did not shrink? We could get by with some shrinkage in the old days but now
that we have 25kv lines on these poles arching can occur on a loose nut or
washer 3 foot from the wires.

Installers have little or no concept about what RFI is or what causes it. I
have also found numerous problems with pole grounding and guy wire
connections that have produced RFI. If you are having a RFI problem contact
the power company and insist on speaking to an engineer. If you have the
equipment and can find the RFI source, it will help expedite the repairs. I
do not recommend shaking the pole or hitting it with a hammer for safety
reasons.

What can the hams do? Short term, continue to call the power companies and
report problems to the FCC as needed. Long term we need the power line
companies to adopt a more stringent construction code and mandate the
installers be trained in RFI. If your wondering how that will happen, the
answer is simple again. The new construction is obviously going to cost the
customers more money. Currently it is cheaper for the power line companies to
continue the usual construction and handle the complaints. We have to
convince the power companies its going to be a cheaper solution to build and
repair the lines correctly.  All we have to do is get the FCC to start making
routine checks around the country looking for power lines that are radiating
without a complaint being filed. I have seen countless cases in homes where
there was RFI on channel 2 TV caused by power lines. 10 out 10 owners did not
know what was causing the problem.
Guess who gets the blame in the end if you have a ham antenna in your yard?

Ron W4WA

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---