[VHFcontesting] RE: RFI/Power line noise problem

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] RE: RFI/Power line noise problem
From: w1rfi@arrl.org (Hare,Ed, W1RFI)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:24 2003
I am only subscribed tot he VHF@w6yx@stanford.edu list, so please forward this
to the rest of the lists. (But only one of you -- don't want this to appear 312
times!)

ARRL has an MOU with the FCC (mostly Riley) that will usually result in his
sending the case to John Phillips, K2QAI@arrl.org, before that letter goes out.
 Behind each of those FCC letters is usually 10 to 20 hours (or more) of ARRL
staff time work. The reason Riley does it this way is that power-line cases are
only a small part of the work he needs to get done and he really does want to
save the FCC staff time for those areas where only the FCC can be effective.

What you should do is as follows:

Read the ARRL material at http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/rfi-elec.html. Use any
and all of this to work with your power company to try to resolve the problem.
Especially useful is the generic text from the "FCC letter."  Hopefully, your
power-company personnel would rather read the one printed from the ARRL Web
page than to get a customized version of their own. In some cases, the power
companies actually do the right thing when approached by the ham.

If that doesn't work, contact John at ARRL HQ. He doesn't mind talking on the
phone, but what helps is if he can get a synopsis of the attempts you have made
to resolve the problem, in a form that can be sent to power company personnel.
In some cases, the power company is actually willing to fix the problem, but
don't have a good feel for what to do. John is pretty good at giving the
power-company folks a crash course in how to find and fix power-line problems.
If they really do not intend to fix the problem, (those famous words, "We have
spent a lot of money on your case...", John will also nee dhte name and mailing
address of the CEO or a senior vice president in charge of customer service or
power distribution.  John then sends a letter to the CEO, under the wing of
ARRL's cooperative agreement with the FCC. This often gets cases somewhat back
on track.

If that doesn't work, and it looks like the company is going to stonewall, or
refuse to fix the problem, at that point, Riley is convinced that every
reasonable effort has been made to try to resolve a local problem locally,
instead of literally making a federal case out of it, so he is then more than
willing to write the FCC letter.  John already has the mailing info, so he
sends Riley a brief summary of the case, and an attached Word .doc file, all
filled out ready to go, formatted for Riley's printer.  That usually gets
things back on track. :-)

I will do a separate post on some of the techniques hams or power companies may
be able to use to pin down the noise.  Probably Monday, as it will be a fair
amount of writing. :-)

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab