[VHFcontesting] Re: Fw: VHFcontesting, Get A Grip!

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: Fw: VHFcontesting, Get A Grip!
From: johngeig@yahoo.com (John Geiger)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:21 2003
Our goal should not be to try and level the playing
field, because that is impossible.  Even if we
eliminate the differences in popluatin densities
(which is impossible) we still have propogation
differences.  For example, when I lived in EN41, we
had three straight VHF contests with some aurora.
Nothing major, but it added a few grids.  Since moving
to EM04, I have had 1 aurora session, and worked 1
station, and it was not during a contest.  The same
applies for tropo, eskip.  ALso, the further north you
go, the smaller the grid squares get, so multipliers
become easier.

Even if we could equate all of the above, the playing
field is still not level due to equipment differences,
antenna differences, etc.  I don't have the resources
at this time to buy rigs for some of the microwave
bands, and bigger amps for the rigs I do have.  I do
have 100 watts on 6,2 and 432, which is probably
standard for most of the low power class, but I only
have 10 watts of FM on 222 and 1 watt of FM on 1296.
I am sure that many in the low power class are running
more than that on those bands, while others are not
QRV on those bands at all.
I also have fairly small antennas at a low height.  I
don't have the money at the current time to improve
antennas much, or to put up monster towers.  I make do
with what I have.  THen there is always the problem of
station location, average terrain, etc.

The point is, there is no way to equalize the playing
field, so lets stop trying.  Our main objective, maybe
our only one, should be trying to get as many people
on the air for a VHF contest as possible, on as many
bands as possible.

It seems like the solution to the original post would
be to eliminate the limited multioperator category,
and I am not unsure that it is a bad idea.  I also
don't see any reason why the rover category is limited
to 2 operators?  It might be beneficial to eliminate
that restriction also.

Bob, K2DRH, sitting in the middle of the country at
the Iowa/Illinois border has demonstrated that it is
possible to win from areas other than the Northeast.
Check out the last few VHF contest results for low
power.  Of course it has taken dedication on his part,
not to mention stacked antennas on big towers.

73s John NE0P

=== message truncated ===