[VHFcontesting] Shakedown Run for N2MH/R - Report

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Shakedown Run for N2MH/R - Report
From: mugs@intac.com (mugs@intac.com)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:20 2003
Folks,

We got off to a late start, about 2 pm from northern NJ. Based on this, we
decided
to go to the Riansares Mountain site and work our way south, hopefully winding
up
at Blue Knob. We departed in rain and stayed in it almost all the way to
Rianeses
where the rain stopped and all that was left was heavy fog.

Riansares Mountain (FN11hb, 41.052006, -77.379639) is in a state park (didn't
notice the name or the hours they are open) and is not too far off of I-80 (old
exit 27). There is a gravel road off Route 477 that runs all the way to the
summit.
At the summit, there are 3 or 4 large, free-standing towers (large > 200 ft
high)
with mostly high-band two-way equipment. Some low-band and some UHF antennas
were
noted also. When I reached the summit, the 146.52 FM radio squelch opened up on
some carrier and stayed open. At the summit, there are these towers, a house of
sorts and trees all around. The summit is not clear in any direction. Thus, it
is
ng for microwaves.

However, about a quarter of a mile before you get to the summit (41.05332,
-77.37727), there is an overlook, similar to what you find on the Blue Ridge
Parkway. It is called "Penny Hill Vista". This spot is clear towards the north
(I
think - it was too foggy to see anything) and should be useful for microwaves.
Most
of the garbage heard on the summit was gone. The only thing I heard at the
overlook
was VE3 /B from Toronto in FN03 on 6 meters.

Bottom line: The site looks to be useful, especially for microwaves. Keep away
from
the summit and its qrm.

We then headed towards Big Poe Mountain (FN10ft, 40.81367, -77.52111). Big Poe
Mountain, although it was not on our list of anticipated stops, is a site we
identified from the maps as possibly being useful.

Big Poe Mountain is located in Bald Eagle State Forest, and is only approachable
via oil-topped dirt roads. When we got there, the gate to the lookout tower was
locked. While parked outside the gate, I talked to WA2FGK on 6 meters and heard
the
W3VD beacon on 6 meters.

Bottom line: The site may be useful for someone who enjoys hiking. It is well
off
any decent roads and takes a long time to get there. And, with the gate locked
the summit, don't expect to drive there at all.

After dinner at Big Poe Mountain, we headed off for Broad Mountain
(FN10dq,40.68142,-77.73861). However, an hour and a half later, we found Route
322
closed northbound which kept us from getting to Broad Mountain. Since this is
the
same route we would take during the contest, this site is now crossed off the
list.

Bottom line: Don't know anything about the site - can't get there from here!

After finding this road block, we got something to drink and headed home,
arriving
back in NJ about 2:30 am.

Other sites we want to check out in FN10 some day:

Prayer Rock (FN10cn, 40.54442, -77.75626), and a pair of other sites near
Harrisburg, both FN10ni: 40.34538, -76.86901, and 40.36613, -76.91000.

Results for the day:

1 site looks to be good
1 site to stay away from
1 site unreachable for now

Bottom line: it was a worthwhile trip. One site is a keeper - it will stay on
our
route list. We were able to scratch off one site from our prospectives list and
were able to determine that one planned site is unreachable. This will give us
time
to replan our route in time for the contest.

73, Mark, N2MH and Karen
The Lighthouse Rover
IRLP Node 474