[VHFcontesting] Re: VHFcontesting rules - hmmmm!

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: VHFcontesting rules - hmmmm!
From: wa2voi@minnmicro.com (Donn Baker)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:20 2003
At 09:17 03-09-02 -0700, John Geiger wrote:
>Can anyone inform me as to why the rule change?  It

In the early/mid 90's, a couple of Rovers in NE did a perfectly legal thing
in the January Contest:  they "grid circled."  That is, A was in grid 1,
while B was in 1, 2, 3, and then 4.  A moved to grid 2, and B circled 1, 2,
3, 4.  A moved to grid 3; B went 1, 2, 3, and 4.  Finally, A went to grid
4, and B did it all again.

They racked up HUGE scores (> 1.5 million each, if I remember correctly).

Let me emphasise that it was (and still is) a perfectly legal way to operate.

What appears to have happend, however, is that one or more "contest groups"
got all bent out of shape because the Rovers had higer scores than they
did.  NOTE that ROVERS do NOT compete with SINGLE OPS or MULTI-OPS: only
other Rovers.  The Rovers also contributed to a Club score, so that Club
won over other, much larger clubs.

Bottom line is that the Contest Committe appears to have been bullied into
making rules changes.  I cannot speak for all Rovers, of course, but I was
adamently opposed to the rules changes, as was (at least) the majority of
Rovers.  I do not recall a SINGLE ROVER who said, "This needs to be
stopped. Please change the rules."

Opinion, obviously, but the basics are a matter of record.

Flame away.

73 Donn
WA2VOI ex-/R