[VHFcontesting] Sprint

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Sprint
From: w3iy@fcc.net (Bill Seabreeze)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:27 2003
Yo,
The microwave sprint was fun, and activity was decent,
although conditions were even worse than the Sept contest.
There wasn't much signal strength coming in from far-out.
K2SMN coulndn't even hear the CCX beacons this AM!
 (and he's close!)  Conditions were really that poor.  We
looked NW, SW, & S, quite a bit, to no avail....sri.
It's kind of fun to see what you can work under adverse
conditions, once in a while (in preparation for Jan VHF SS...
hi).  Here's what we worked from W4RX's awesome
mountaintop station in FM19bb:
903        K2SMN       FN20
              W4SW         FM18
              K3DNE        FM19
              K1TEO         FN31
              K1RZ            FM19
1296      K2SMN        FN20
              W3HMS/R    FN10
              W4SW          FM18
              K3DNE         FM19
              K1TEO         FN31
              W3HMS/R    FM19
              KB8VAO/R  FN00 (on his FM HT!!!)
              K1RZ            FM19
2304      K3DNE         FM19
              W4SW/R       FM18
              K1RZ            FM19
3456      W3HMS/R    FM19
              W4SW/R       FM18
             KB8VAO/R    FN00 (on 1/2 of his 112 looper!)
5760     KB8VAO/R    FN00 (solid SSB)
             W3HMS/R      FM19
             W4SW/R        FM18
             K1RZ              FM19
10368   KB8VAO/R    FN00 (solid SSB)
             W3HMS/R      FM19
             K1RZ              FM19
24192   W4SW/R         FM18 (r = 43.4Km, S9! thru dense fog and mist)
47088   heard W4SW 539, one-way, (he has BIG SMOKE @ 30mW!!)

I'm especially grateful to the rovers, who braved long drives, traffic,
rain, fog,
mist, haze, & really bad propagation to provide some much-needed action on
the
bands.  These guys are to be commended! (give them a break, and WORK THEM!)
Glad we could partake.  Tnx to W4RX for the oppurtunity to stay inside for a
change.
Thanks for all the activity.  Every microwave QSO is still a fascinating
rarity to me!
Conditions are always different, and there is still much to be learned.
Keep them
knobs a-spinning!

73,
Bill W3IY