[VHFcontesting] FD - V/U/uW activity

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] FD - V/U/uW activity
From: radioman@frpd.org (Radioman)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:27 2003
In the past week ive heard more BLAH BLAH, and back patting on what to do
then possibly atacking the problem, im not saying i have the answers but,
being a newbee to VHF contesting about a year im going to suggest something
on a different scale then typical past 500 emails on the same subject. noted
above

1: Cleanup
2: Premote/Elmor
3: Advertise

1: Cleanup!

The first contest i did i got a attitude from a opperator cause i did not
act fast enought on saying my grid and when i told him this was my first
contest he never came back to me with a response.  yeah maby a one time only
thing but i second guessed another contest. (considering it was a 1 land
"big gun") do i want to
butt heads with him?

the second contest i did a multi-opp here at my QTH and with a advance class
opp. cause he wanted to see what a VHF contest was like, and his sked was
stolen on my newley install 432 station by another 1 call "another big gun"
blah blah xx station also a multi-opp station, right in the middle of a sked
making, POOF gone cause it was a friend of a friend and he really needed to
work him over my friends sked making, guess my 432 contact point wasen't
good enought

Really, thats not all, of course. but i'll spare ya the details, i think ya
getting the big PIC
now.

So if U (contest manager) see a new contest station, try it out then never
clicks
i don't think my advance class friend will ever build his own station after
seeing first hand on what happends. He (my advance friend) is a hard core HF
RTTY Contester and during that contest tossed  his hands up in the air
saying what the (censored) is he doing?  hey im not saying lets play
bat-mitting here durning the contest but, is this a operator that made the
Leagues A1-operator award list (shure did).
Thats one  i'll be happy never to get thanks!
And that was the second time only 1.5 hours into the contest

There have been times when ive asked my-self is it really worth it.?
should i have to ask that question? Ive spent over 8K in a tower full of M2
antenna's from 5 element 6 meter antenna to 1296 all the way up in a years
time.

ive had a better time in a RTTY contest
with over-seas operators then anyone in the states in a VHF contest (shame
on us)

Yeah blah blah who cares what im saying.. im just  the new guy in VHF
contesting

Will my friend ever get a VHF station of his own,  probley not and he seems
to have no interest on the single band contest like the sprint ones. so was
it an isolated problem,

The last "ham fest" i over heard one ham saying to another about a rover
"grid looping"
and possibly for a club (what is that?) kinda figured something was going on
ive heard other stories on the air!!

In a years time im questining if my time and money was spent in the right
place of my hobby.

2: Premote/Elmor:

Talked with a new operator on 2 meter SSB, he was really new, and said he
listened  to the last contest and got nervous cause things were fast and
everyone had big signals, he was not going to get in there and contest cause
he thought he needed a big station and did not know what to do. (a league
member, not that it means anything)  i filled him in on the details and
edged him on that i would be looking for him the next contest. or if he
wanted to id sit him behind my IC-746 on 2 meters where he felt confortable.
but he declined, and i talked to him on the last one, and he said things
were going well and he made a few new contacts and new grids. (im glad its
going well and he did not have a run in with thoes meat heads i did the
first time around and second)
I did my part, and still doing it. (like it supose to be)

3: Advertise

And here we are,  the 500 emails on on putting back the listnings in a
ADD/HF dominant mag.  Yes we all know the adds keep the memership dues down
,  i think we all agree on the posting and the pat on the back by seeing
your call (in my thought) the top book of books im not saying take it over,
but make room, cause im a VHF contester and  a league member, and like many
others 90% of my ham radio hobby is VHF

My suggestion is this a December issue dedicated to VHF'ers and the past
scores
and listings, PIC's and other VHF related articles and talking up the
comming ARRL January Contest, im shure the HF'ers are not going to complane
considering the all the past issues are HF minded, a big push on a one time
shot and see if the interest peeks  with the OM's and YL's of HF.
Advertising is a main stream on reaching many at one time, out right
positive forward motion and talking up VHF contesting, making it being the
next greatest thing next to slice bread is the way to go. everyone wants to
be where the acton is and the main streem crowd

Flame this go-ahead, will be right back to where we started.
Tony