[VHFcontesting] Re: Adding another band

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: Adding another band
From: ku4qd@earthlink.net (Caitlyn Martin)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:25 2003
Hi, John,

> If you were currently active on the "Big 3" VHF/UHF
> bands (6, 2, 70cm) running 100 watts on each band with
> moderate sized antennas-13 elements on 2 and 16
> elements on 432, what band would you add next:
>
> 1. If you were limited to $500-$600 for equipment and
> antennas

23 cm.

> 2. If money and space were no object.

Either 1.35m or 23cm.

> Or, would you be better off using the money to improve
> your existing setup and just staying on 6, 2 and 432?

I've been active on 23cm (1296MHz) in the past and plan to get back on
that band eventually as budget permits.  The band had 25MHz chopped off
the bottom of it some years back, and is very valuable to commercial
interests.  It is a UHF band, so it is subject to ducting and some
interesting propagation.  I think we really need to occupy it to
preserve it.

Also, if you travel, 23cm is a ham band worldwide, as well as a
satellite band.  222 MHz is only good domestically.

73,
Caity
KU4QD