[VHFcontesting] Re: Adding another band

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Re: Adding another band
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Thu Jun 19 16:44:24 2003
On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, John Geiger wrote:

> I am interested in receiving comments on the following
> for my own interest, as well as for a possible VHF
> club newsletter item.
>
> If you were currently active on the "Big 3" VHF/UHF
> bands (6, 2, 70cm) running 100 watts on each band with
> moderate sized antennas-13 elements on 2 and 16
> elements on 432, what band would you add next:
>
> 1. If you were limited to $500-$600 for equipment and
> antennas

I think I'd add 1296.  222 is a lot of fun but I think there are less
people active on 222 and 1296 is more of a challenge.

> 2. If money and space were no object.

In that case I'd probably add all the bands I didn't have from 222 through
3456 at least.

> Or, would you be better off using the money to improve
> your existing setup and just staying on 6, 2 and 432?

I guess it depends on what you want to do.  If you want to go for EME on
those bands, you'd definitely want to improve your setup.  If you want to
work greater distances via MS, etc., the antenna farm could definitely be
improved. If you want to "make your own openings" you'd want to improve
the antennas ans power levels. But 100 watts and single beams will get you
quite far during decent openings.

73, Zack W9SZ