Re: [TowerTalk] DROPPING A TOWER

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DROPPING A TOWER
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2024 11:00:17 -0700
I would be worried about the rope stretching as you drive the vehicle then suddenly breaking. Per Murphy's law, it will break at the top
end :-(.

73
Rick N6RK

On 9/21/2024 10:41 AM, kq2m@kq2m.com wrote:
Hi Bill,

One other thought.....

Before you bring anything down, I would climb to about 10' below the top set of guys (I'm assuming that you have them at either 120' or 130'), and attach a very heavy solid pull rope  long enough to reach the ground plus another 100' or so.

After you set everything else up (additional two tensioned guys ~ 70'), and guys made tighter on either side of the direction of the fall at each guy level, I would loosen the tower bolts in the bottom section of the tower to allow for more tower flexing and movement.  (do NOT remove the bolts! just loosen them as much as possible)

Then I would position a vehicle no less than 175' from the base of the tower (tower height + 30%) and tie the free end of the rope to the chassis of the vehicle (even better is to tie the rope to a trailer hitch if you have one) and then slowly drive forward in the direction that you want the tower to fall (direction of the lean) and pull the tower down.

Hopefully it will all proceed smoothly.

73

Bob, KQ2M