Re: [TowerTalk] Wanted LPDA 4-30 MHz (John Sloop)

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>, JP K <jp@ezoom.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wanted LPDA 4-30 MHz (John Sloop)
From: n1bkb--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 22:35:49 +0000 (UTC)
 When the army issued me the MARS station in 'Nam in early April 1969 and I put
AB8AAO on the air, the antenna I got was the smaller version of what you are
looking for.  The LP antenna I signed for only tuned 7 MHz to 30 MHz.  We
mounted it on an 80' telephone pole (10' in the ground and guyed on 3-sides)
and the engineer unit headquartered down the street set the pole and antenna
for my wire and cable platoon with their 20-ton mobile crane.  I forgot how
much the antenna weighed (I remember it took 8 or 10 guys to man-handle the
crate out of the truck) and it took my SGT and his guys 3-days to assemble it.
We had solid contact with CONUS 12 - 16 hrs/day back then to run phone patches
for everyone.  The radio set we used was the army AN/FRC-93 system ... a
Collins KWM-2A xcvr, 30L-1 amp, 312B5 outboard VFO/phone patch station
controller, and 516F power supply.

Steve - N1BKB
back then 1LT, USAR, SigC

    On Saturday, April 20, 2024 at 02:53:42 PM PDT, JP K <jp@ezoom.net> wrote:

 7 tons is the shipping weight, and that includes the tower as well.

J.P. W2XX