Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting Yagi on the side of the Trylon tower.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting Yagi on the side of the Trylon tower.
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 22:15:13 -0400
If you are going to phase the antennas you should use the same Yagi as your
upper one plus the same feedline length.  It can be difficult to find enough
open space to side-mount modern interlaced tribanders and you may have to
buy two antennas with sufficient space and also replace the top one.  I am
not sure why you picked 35', if the Trylon tower is self-supporting it
should be narrower slightly higher up giving you more turning room and
possibly a better pattern.  There are not a lot, if any, commercial swing
gates for towers manufactured these days but you can fabricate your own or
use a ring rotator to have full rotation.

GL
John KK9A

Alex Filippov wk1o wrote:

I am looking for antenna and installation advice.

I am looking to install a tri-bander 10-15-20 on the side of the
self-supporting 80 ft Trylon tower at around 35 ft above ground level to
stack with the tri-bander at the top of the tower. I really would like this
antenna to rotate maximally around the tower. Obviously, there is a limit
to how much it can be turned. The distance between the center ( driven?)
element of the tri-bander and the next element should be maximally possible
to accommodate the max rotating angle. Also is the length of the arm on
which the antenna will be installed.

I am looking for practical advice on the best suitable commercially
available tri-banders for such application and any advice on the
installation. It looks like it will need two horizontal arms, rotator
plate(s)

I'm sure this has been done many times before, so if you know where to look
for advice to avoid the errors of the first time tinkerer, that would be
greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Alex, WK1O