Re: [TowerTalk] Broadcast Band Filter

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Broadcast Band Filter
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2024 12:45:49 -0800
A very good way to check for this is to put an attenuator (10 to 20dB) between the radio and the antenna which is picking up the sort of bleed-through Mike describes. If the bleed-through doesn't go away when you add-in the external attenuation, the problem is likely NOT in the radio. Switching in the radio's internal front-end attenuation isn't always sufficient. I had a case where the bias on the PIN diodes that switched high-pass filters into the receiver front-end of one of my radios was being modulated by the very strong BCI from a nearby 4-tower array that favored me more during the day. Switching in the radio's front-end attenuation didn't help. I had to attenuate the signal ahead of that PIN diode switched filter-bank in order to reduce the bleed through.  When I did that, the bleed-through stopped, so I knew the QRM was being generated inside the radio.

73, Mike W4EF.........