Re: [TowerTalk] Emotator Rotator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Emotator Rotator
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 12:43:04 -0500

I managed to find about 14uF worth of non-polarised capacitors, so cobbled them all together and connected them across the CW and CCW
leads.
That's probably not enough to be significant.

From an HVAC blog I found a formula for determining the value of a
run capacitor (note the HVAC folks deal with much higher voltages
and currents!).  The formula they give is: C(uF) = (2652 * I)/V
where I is current through the capacitor and V voltage across the
capacitor.

In both the Emotator and CDE/HyGain cases, the common motor current
is about 2 A (1A in each winding) or about 1A through the cap (Hy-Gain
is specified at 24VAC/2.25A).  Using the Hy-Gain numbers which are
consistent with Emotator's 70 VA rating that works out to 125 uF.
The 100 uF Emotator cap may be a bit undersized while the CDE/HyGain
130-156 uF cap may a bit closer to optimum.

I'd be strongly betting on a weak capacitor ... the trick will be to
find an appropriate motor run capacitor that will fit in the Emotator
case.
73,

   ... Joe, W4TV