[TowerTalk] Emotator Rotator

To: "Tower and HF Antenna Construction Topics." <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Emotator Rotator
From: Roger Parsons via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2024 21:15:28 +0000 (UTC)
I have been using an Emotator rotator and 1105MS controller for quite a few
years, generally successfully. However, for the past several years it has not
rotated when the temperature has dropped below about -10C.

My first thought was to put in low temperature grease, especially as this had
not been changed for many years.This made zero improvement. I then wondered if
the connections had gone high resistance. Measurements indicated that they had
not, although I wasn't able to measure the resistance of the connector on the
rotator. I parallelled several wires in any case, but this also made zero
improvement.

Information on Emotator is very sparce, but this one uses 28V AC and the
rotator has two windings with a common point. Voltage is supplied between the
common point and either one of the windings. There is a capacitor (of unknown
value) between the two directional inputs. My latest thought was that perhaps
this capacitor was faulty. Looking at the waveforms on each of the inputs show
that they both have sine waves (of the same amplitude) with about a 90 degree
phase difference, and that this phase difference is reversed when direction is
changed. This seems correct to me, but I would much appreciate any other
thoughts.

Because I've run out of ideas! Of course, I can't actually do anything about it
for several months until Northern Ontario gets a little warmer.

73 Roger
VE3ZI