Re: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch Rotors and water intrusion

To: "'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch Rotors and water intrusion
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2024 10:49:11 -0500
>"In the case of a prop pitch rotor mounted underneath a rotor shelf in a
tower, does anybody here have experience regarding the effectiveness of the
rubber seal included in the prop pitch ?
>Does it do a good job of keeping out water.."

No, it doesn't unless a rain shield is installed.  I have a graveyard of six
prop pitch rotators, all defective and rusting due to water ingress.  Since
2015, $10K had been spent with K7NV on rebuild after rebuild.  He charged
$2,500 per rebuild.

Others will jump in and say they have no issues.  Good for them, I'm happy.
I can tell you that if you're in an area of heavy rainfall, count on seal
problems with the normal PP tower orientation unless a very effective rain
shield is installed to protect against water and direct UV exposure.  Being
in Florida, I've no idea how well the seal holds up in extreme cold.   But
in Florida, the problem is exacerbated by high summer heat plus rapid
cooling with afternoon rain.

On one tower, I've switched to the new DXE 4500HD rotator.  By design , it
has better protection against rain and UV.  Time will tell whether it holds
up better than the PP rotators.

Paul, W9AC