Re: [TowerTalk] Trapped Antenna in the "formal" literature?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Trapped Antenna in the "formal" literature?
From: Jim Brown via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 17:12:39 -0800
On 1/8/2024 4:48 PM, Billy Cox wrote:
Paget, L. (2006). Antenna Workshop-Len Paget GM0ONX explores the W3DZZ
and says that it's a trapped multi-band antenna that shouldn't be
discounted. Practical Wireless, 82(4), 32-35.

W3DZZ was local to me when I lived in Chicago, and I met him near the end of his life. He also built and sold inductively loaded antennas that he correctly stated were not traps -- I measured some and they self-resonated well above the resonance of the shorter length band. You may be aware of the design -- a loading coil near but not at the end of a dipole for the higher band, followed by enough wire that the coil resonates on the higher harmonically related band. I've studied those designs by others in NEC, and subsequently designed a few myself.

73, Jim K9YC