Re: [TowerTalk] Shack to service entrance ground

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shack to service entrance ground
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 16:21:31 -0700
On 8/18/2023 4:00 PM, Lux, Jim wrote:
OK - you're in sort of an interesting situation, because your "shack ground" electrode isn't part of the required grounding for your house - that is, it's not a supplemental grounding electrode.

Nor is it part of a lightning grounding/dissipation system, so all those rules don't matter.

There absolutely IS a requirement that all grounds in a premises be bonded together. If power is fed from one building to another, there must be an earth electrode in the second building, bonded to the panel (but NOT bonded to neutral in the second building IF ground is carried from the first building). Until 10-15 years ago, NEC did not require ground to be carried between buildings, and my property was built that way. It was subsequently modified to require that ground be carried, but existing installations are grandfathered.

The only thing about which I'm uncertain is conductor diameter. It's always been good engineering practice, especially where antennas are involved, for buildings to have a perimeter ground, with rods at various points around the perimeter. AT&T's Long Lines sites were built that way, and Ward recommends it in his book. I use a half-perimeter ground in the building that houses my shack; a cement patio is in the way of full perimeter. There are about 8 rods spaced along it, at the panel, and outside the shack near my coax entry panels.

73, Jim K9YC