Re: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering RT4500HD rotator

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering RT4500HD rotator
From: John Vendely <jvendely@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 12:08:01 -0400
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the comments.   Electrical storms, torrrential rain, humidity, and relentless temperature cycling make Florida an unusually hostile environment for antenna rotators, even for those purpose-built for this application.  Water ingress seems to be an inherent "difficult" spot on vertical output shaft rotators.  I'm on the Space Coast of FL myself, so this is of particular interest to me as well.

M2 seems to have addressed prior output shaft water ingress problems in their product several years ago with a significant redesign.  So far, I've found no info on the RT4500HD output shaft bearings and seals.  DX Engineering did release some  informative 3D CAD drawings of the internal drive components of the RT4500HD, but drawings of its output shaft bearings and seals are conspicuously not among them.  I did talk to one of the DXE sales people, who was quite helpful in contacting the rotator manufacturer who was willing to state that there are two buna-N o-ring seals on the output shaft and an external rain shield of some kind.   Any observations or impressions you might have of your RT4500HD in this area would therefore be most useful.

The RT4500HD has a particularly useful feature permitting easy replacement of the magnetic reed switch in its positioning feedback system without removal and disassembly of the rotator. Like the feedback pots used in other rotators, these reed switches are easily destroyed by direct or nearby lightning strikes which, unfortunately, are another common and unavoidable problem here in FL.

Altogether, the RT4500HD appears to be well thought out, and a prototype is said to have been subjected to extensive testing in the northeastern Ohio environment.  However, as the product is still quite new, it appears few are in the field and no environmental reliability info is yet available...

73,

John K9WT